Monday, March 7, 2011

The Anniversary of my Scar

Not very many people know this about me or have forgotten because it's been so long but when I was in 8th grade I put my arm through a glass window. Now the only reason why I know the date is because it happened on my cousin's birthday. So today it's been 12 years since it happened. Now to explain what happened, it was a Sunday and my family had just gotten home from church. My mom had pulled the car in the driveway and my sister Sam and I jumped out to race to the front door as my sister's and I usually did. Now I jumped out and ran around the back side of the car while Sam ran around the front of the car. Naturally she should have beaten me base upon the fact that she had a shorter distance to run. So when I arrived at the door first, I was confused as to how I could have beaten her. I looked back to see where she had gone while at the same time reaching for the door knob. The only problem was that I missed the door knob and instead pushed my hand straight through the glass window on the door. The initial reaction was to pull my hand out and that's where the damage happened. I took one look at it and started to panic. I just remember going to my mom crying and asking if I was going to die. My sister Sam who had stopped at the driver's door to get the keys (and that's why I had beaten her to the front door) was freaked out. But I think the best response came from my older sister Shannon. She flipped out! I mean screaming and running down the street. I wish I could have noticed it but I was a little distracted. All in all I ended up getting 11 stitches inside and 10 outside since I had torn it so deep (not to be gross or anything but my muscle was literally hanging out). I also scrapped off a layer of skin. I wanted to post the picture I have of it the day I got the stitches out but didn't have a chance to look for it at my moms. Plus I don't even know if she still has it. But I did take a picture of what the scar look like today. It's kinda hard to see in the picture because the scar has lightened up so much. But yeah, can't believe it's been 12 years already and thanks to my cousin I will never forget March 7, 1999.

3 comments:

The Shaws said...

I did not go running down the street. I won't deny flipping out. I called 911, I was in the house!!!

Richie and Jenn Hellewell said...

Oh don't deny Shannon. I was told you took off down the street. I can picture it now:)

The Horners said...

EWE boofer. That story totally grossed me out! All these years and I never knew! Whether or not your sister freaked out I know for sure I would have done exactly that! Happy Anniversary? So glad you still have 2 arms.